Experience the best of New Zealand on this top rated tour. Your private guide will meet your group at the airport and take you on an insider’s tour of New Zealand, visiting iconic landmarks and local secrets alike.
Offering New Zealand’s top escorted tour operators and highly experienced tour guides, we cater for groups between 1-20 people. With no date or itinerary restrictions, your New Zealand tour can be completely customised.
30 Day New Zealand Guided Tour Itinerary
Day 1 Arrive Auckland
Your fantastic guided holiday begins in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. Home to 1/4 of New Zealand’s population and bordered by two stunning harbours, Auckland is thriving, diverse city surrounded by natural wonders.
Stay 2 nights in Auckland.
Day 2 Auckland City Tour
Explore Auckland with your guide, visiting top attractions such as the Sky Tower, Mt Eden’s volcanic crater, Waiheke Island, Kelly Tarlton’s Underwater World, and Piha Beach.
Day 3 Bay of Islands + Dolphin Cruise
Travel time Auckland to Bay of Islands – 3 hours
Leave the city behind as your tour continues north to the Bay of Islands, a stunning stretch of coastline with secluded beaches, forested hills, and fantastic marine wildlife.
In the afternoon, cruise among the 144 islands in the bay and keep an eye out for dolphins, whales, and penguins!
Stay 2 nights in Paihia.
Day 4 Northland + Ninety Mile Beach
Discover the wild northern reaches of New Zealand today with your guide – venture past forests and farmland and windswept beaches on the journey to Cape Reinga, where a lighthouse marks the northernmost tip of New Zealand.
On the way, take in the vast expanse of 90 Mile Beach and visit an ancient Kauri grove hidden within lush native bush.
Day 5 Coromandel Peninsula + Hot Water Beach
Travel time Bay of Islands to Coromandel Peninsula – 6 hours
Embark on a scenic tour of the Coromandel Peninsula, taking in views of the lush rainforest and idyllic beaches. If the tide is right, visit Hot Water Beach, where you can dig your own hot pools, on your way to Whitianga.
Stay 2 nights in Whitianga, Coromandel.
Day 6 Cathedral Cove Boat Tour
Discover the rugged coastline today on a boat tour that takes through the marine reserve and past immense sea caves and sandy bays. Stop at the famous Cathedral Cove to soak in the views!
In the afternoon, your guide will show you some of the best hidden secrets of the Coromandel, including lush forest walks and secluded golden-sand beaches.
Day 7 Hobbiton + Rotorua
Travel time Coromandel to Hobbiton – 2.5 hours
Experience the magic of Middle-Earth as you tour the Hobbiton Movie Set, where the charming village from The Lord of the Rings has been brought to life.
Travel time Hobbiton to Rotorua – 1 hour
Continue to Rotorua, the geothermal capital of New Zealand. Tour the exciting geothermal attractions with your guide, visiting sulphur springs, mud pools, geysers, and sinter terraces.
Stay 2 nights in Rotorua.
Day 8 Geothermal Wonders + Skyline Gondola Buffet Dinner
Stroll through Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve in the morning, where you will have the opportunity to experience the rich Maori culture and soak in a relaxing sulphur spa.
In the evening, enjoy a sumptuous dinner at Rotorua’s most spectacular location – the top of the Skyline Gondola!
Day 9 Taupo
Travel time Rotorua to Taupo – 1 hour
Your geothermal experience will continue as you enjoy the short drive to Taupo, a small town set beside New Zealand’s largest lake. With the volcanic peaks of Tongariro National Park looming in the distance, and the lake itself formed from an ancient volcanic crater, you will get a close-up look at the immense forces that shaped New Zealand. Visit Huka Falls with your guide and relax on the lakefront.
Stay 1 night in Taupo.
Day 10 Wellington
Travel time Taupo to Wellington – 4.5 hours
Continue your scenic tour as your guide takes you south to Wellington, New Zealand’s capital city.
Stay 2 nights in Wellington.
Day 11 Wellington City Tour
Your guide will help you become acquainted with this charming city today – you could visit the Te Papa Museum, ride the Wellington Cable Car, visit Weta Workshop, or take in the views from the top of Mt Victoria.
Day 12 Scenic Interislander Ferry + Kaikoura
Sailing time Wellington to Picton – 3 hours
Travel time Picton to Kaikoura – 2 hours
Begin your day with a cruise across the windswept Cook Strait.
Upon reaching the South Island, your guide will take you on a scenic drive through the Marlborough wine region, with the option to stop at a winery (or two!) along the way for samples of the award-winning wines.
Spend the evening in Kaikoura, a stunning coastal town with a backdrop of majestic mountains. Be sure to sample the superb local seafood at dinner!
Stay 1 night in Kaikoura.
Day 13 Hanmer Springs
Travel time Kaikoura to Hanmer Springs – 1.5 hours
When you reach the quiet mountain town of Hanmer Springs, relax and unwind in the hot springs or go for a short guided forest walk with your escort.
Stay 1 night in Hanmer Springs.
Day 14 Christchurch
Travel time Hanmer Springs to Christchurch – 2 hours
With a thriving restaurant scene, a string of beautiful parks, and a historic town centre, Christchurch is an excellent holiday destination.
Explore Christchurch with your guide, visiting the botanic gardens, the Christchurch Cathedral, the RE:Start Container Mall, and the Canterbury Museum.
Stay 2 nights in Christchurch.
Day 15 Akaroa Tour
Make a day trip to Akaroa with your guide today, and experience the historic French and British settlement. Along the way, visit the Barrys Bay Cheese Factory.
Day 16 Lake Tekapo + Southern Alps Scenic Flight
Travel time Christchurch to Lake Tekapo – 3 hours
Your scenic journey through the Mackenzie Basin begins today as you cross over Burkes Pass. As the Southern Alps loom before you, there will be photo opportunities around every corner.
In the afternoon, take an unforgettable flight-seeing tour over the glaciers and mountains and rivers of the Mackenzie Basin.
Stay 1 night at Lake Tekapo.
Day 17 Mount Cook
Travel time Lake Tekapo to Mt Cook Village – 1 hour
Continue past Lake Pukaki on your way to Mt Cook Village, nestled at the foot of New Zealand’s highest mountain.
In the evening, visit the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre to view the displays and watch any of a wide offering of films and planetarium shows on New Zealand.
Stay 1 night in Mt Cook Village.
Day 18 Dunedin
Travel time Mt Cook Village to Dunedin – 3.5 hours
Today your scenic drive will follow a series of braided turquoise rivers as you leave the mountains behind. Your guide will stop along the way at the Moeraki Boulders, where you will find a jumble of large, unusually spherical boulders lying along the windswept Otago coast.
In the evening, relax and explore the historic town centre of Dunedin.
Stay 2 nights in Dunedin.
Day 19 Taieri Gorge Railway
Today, join the Taieri Gorge Railway for a spectacular journey through the rugged gorges of Central Otago.
In the afternoon, your guide will show you around Dunedin – you have the option to visit Larnach Castle, the Cadbury Chocolate Factory, Speight’s Brewery, or the Otago Peninsula.
Day 20 Catlins Coast
Travel time Dunedin to Invercargill via the Catlins – 3.5 hours
Along the way to Invercargill, your guide will take you on a tour of the remote Catlins coast, where you will find pounding waterfalls, an iconic lighthouse, lush native bush, a petrified forest, and maybe even penguins and dolphins! Stop for a number of nature walks and photo opportunities along the way, and soak in the wild natural beauty.
In the evening, relax in Invercargill or visit the beautifully landscaped town gardens.
Stay 1 night in Invercargill.
Day 21 Te Anau Glowworm Caves
Travel time Invercargill to Te Anau – 2 hours
Venture into the heart of New Zealand today on the drive to Te Anau, the gateway to Fiordland National Park.
In the afternoon, explore a mysterious underground world of rushing water and glittering glowworms on a tour of the Te Anau Glowworm Caves.
Stay 2 nights in Te Anau.
Day 22 Milford Sound Experience
Travel time Te Anau to Milford Sound – 2.5 hours
Embark on a fantastic journey along the Milford Highway today to New Zealand’s most iconic fiord – Milford Sound. Your guide will make many stops along the way for scenic photo opportunities and short walks.
At Milford Sound, enjoy a scenic nature cruise that takes you up close to the majesty of the fiord – you might even spot keas, seals, dolphins, or the rare Fiordland Crested Penguin!
Day 23 Queenstown + Shotover Jet
Travel time Te Anau to Queenstown – 2.5 hours
Your adventure continues past the jagged peaks and clear waters of Lake Wakatipu to Queenstown.
Start your stay in the adventure capital of New Zealand with a bang as you ride the thrilling Shotover Jet through the spectacular canyons of the turquoise Shotover River!
Stay 3 nights in Queenstown.
Day 24 Skippers Canyon 4WD Safari
Travel into the past today on the Skippers Canyon 4WD safari. As you travel along the fantastically rugged backcountry road, you will have the opportunity to visit a number of historic icons – and even pan for gold.
Relax and soak in the atmosphere in Queenstown, or ask your guide to take you on a scenic drive to one of the nearby towns or viewpoints.
Day 25 Glenorchy Lord of the Rings Tour
Explore the Lord of the Rings filming locations around Queenstown with your guide today on an excursion to the stunning Glenorchy region. Stop along the way for majestic views up Lake Wakatipu, and visit the stunning Paradise Valley and Dart Valley at the head of the lake. Along the way, you will get the chance to see the filming locations for Isengard, Lothlorien, and Ithilien Camp.
Stop in Glenorchy for a coffee or relaxing lunch, and soak in the incredible views of snow-capped peaks and turquoise rivers.
Day 26 Wanaka
Travel time Queenstown to Wanaka – 1 hour
Enjoy the scenic drive over the Crown Range to Wanaka, an alpine town boasting panoramic views and a relaxing atmosphere.
Explore the town with your guide, with the option to visit Puzzling World, Cinema Paradiso, Warbirds and Wheels, or Rippon Winery.
Stay 2 nights in Wanaka.
Day 27 Wanaka
Relax in Wanaka today – you could do a bit of boutique shopping, stroll along the lakefront, or take a scenic drive into Mt Aspiring National Park.
Day 28 Franz Josef Glacier
Travel time Wanaka to Franz Josef – 4 hours
After the Milford Highway, the Haast Pass Highway is one of the most scenic alpine routes in New Zealand. Explore the pass with your guide, stopping to view cascading waterfalls, broad alpine meadows, craggy snowcapped mountains, and the turquoise depths of the Blue Pools.
Continuing along the West Coast, your guide will take you to the base of Fox Glacier, where you have the option to enjoy a 1-hour return walk to a viewing point over the mighty glacier.
In the afternoon, you have the option to add on a scenic helicopter flight with a glacier landing.
Stay 1 night in Franz Josef.
Day 29 Hokitika
Travel time Franz Josef to Hokitika – 2 hours
Once you reach Hokitika, you have the option to visit Hokitika Gorge or Lake Kaniere with your guide. Your guide will show you around the town, stopping at the Jade Factory, where you can view artisans carving masterpieces from the precious greenstone, and Sunset Point, where you might be lucky enough to catch a famous West Coast sunset.
Stay 1 night in Hokitika.
Day 30 Arthurs Pass Highway
Travel time Hokitika to Christchurch – 3.5 hours
Leave the rugged West Coast behind today as you begin a fantastic journey through Arthurs Pass. Travel past the soaring peaks and braided rivers of the Southern Alps, through the gorges of the Waimakariri River, and past the rolling Canterbury Plains.
Along the way, your guide will stop at numerous scenic viewpoints, including the “Deaths Corner” lookout over the viaduct, where you can see cheeky Keas; the town of Arthurs Pass, where you can enjoy lunch at one of the local cafes; the Cave Stream Reserve, where you have the option to walk thirty minutes through a limestone cave carved in the hillside; and Castle Hill, where you can climb a series of towering rock formations.
Stay 1 night in Christchurch.
Day 31 Depart Christchurch
Your guide will deliver you to Christchurch Airport for your departing flight.
- Spotting dolphins, whales, and penguins as you cruise through the stunning Bay of Islands.
- Visiting the remote northern tip of New Zealand at Cape Reinga, and exploring 90 Mile Beach.
- Discovering the rugged coastline of the Coromandel by boat – visit sea caves and secluded bays, and even make a stop at the world-famous Cathedral Cove!
- Digging your own hot pool at Hot Water Beach.
- Experiencing the magic of Middle-Earth as you explore the exquisitely rendered Hobbiton movie set.
- Exploring the geothermal wonderland of Rotorua – see geysers, bubbling mud pools, turquoise sulphur springs, and colourful sinter terraces.
- Relaxing in a sulphur pool and marvelling at the geothermal wonders of Hells Gate Reserve.
- Dining in style atop the Skyline Gondola, with views of Rotorua spread out below.
- Visiting the magnificent Huka Falls.
- Cruising the stunning Cook Strait on the Interislander Ferry.
- Taking a scenic drive through the rolling Marlborough wine region – maybe even stop to taste a few of the award-winning wines along the way!
- Sampling the famous crayfish, blue cod, and paua in Kaikoura, a spectacular seaside town ringed by mountains.
- Visiting the historic township of Akaroa, and tasting the delicious Barrys Bay cheeses.
- Driving through the Mackenzie Basin, with countless photo opportunities along the way – see the craggy, snow-capped Mt Cook (New Zealand’s highest mountain), drive past two stunning turquoise lakes, and witness the grandeur of the Southern Alps.
- Flying over the mountains, glaciers, braided rivers, and high county stations of the Mackenzie Basin on an incredible flight-seeing tour.
- Learning the incredible stories of New Zealand at the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre planetarium and theatre.
- Discovering the strange Moeraki Boulders lying on the windswept Otago coast.
- Travelling through the rugged Taieri Gorge on an spectacular train journey through the barren wilds of Central Otago.
- Touring the remote Catlins Coastline – see windswept coastal vistas, pounding waterfalls, lush native bush, petrified forests, and possibly even penguins and dolphins.
- Marvelling at the galaxy of glowworms overhead at the Te Anau Glowworm Caves.
- Journeying down the incredible Milford Highway and experiencing the grandeur of Milford Sound on an unforgettable nature cruise.
- Staying in Queenstown, the vibrant adventure capital of New Zealand.
- Hurtling through the gorges of the Shotover Canyon on a thrilling jet boat ride!
- Discovering the rugged hills and mining history of Queenstown on a Skippers Canyon 4WD tour.
- Venturing into paradise on a stunning scenic tour of Glenorchy, where you will find countless Lord of the Rings film locations surrounded by snow-capped mountains and turquoise river valleys.
- Driving over the lofty Crown Range and stopping for sweeping views of the valley below.
- Travelling through Haast Pass, past hanging glaciers and pounding waterfalls and turquoise rivers.
- Experiencing the many wonders of the Arthurs Pass Highway – become acquainted with one of the world’s smartest bird, the Kea; explore the subterranean world of Cave Stream; and scramble on the towering rock formations at Castle Hill.
Your privately guided tour includes:
- All transportation within New Zealand – you will be collected at the arrivals hall of the Auckland Airport, and dropped off at the departures hall of the Queenstown Airport
- Excellent 4-star accommodation
- Private tour guide
- Sightseeing and Photo Stops En Route
- Bay of Islands Hole in the Rock Cruise
- Coromandel Boat Tour to Cathedral Cove
- Hobbiton Movie Set Tour
- Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve Walk and Sulphur Spa
- Skyline Gondola and Buffet Dinner Rotorua
- Interislander Wellington to Picton Ferry
- Grand Traverse Scenic Flight over Mt Cook and Glaciers
- Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre Explorers Pass
- Taieri Gorge Railway Journey
- Te Anau Glowworm Cave Tour
- Milford Sound Nature Cruise
- Shotover Jet – the world’s most exciting jet boat ride!
- Skippers Canyon 4WD Safari
** Your privately guided tour does NOT include flights, food (except where included in activities) or travel insurance. **
As guide prices are split between travellers, the pricing will vary depending on the number of travellers on your tour.
1 Traveller: NZD$52,649
2 Travellers: NZD$27,799 per adult | NZD$26,849 per child
3 Travellers: NZD$20,849 per adult | NZD$19,949 per child
4 Travellers: NZD$17,399 per adult | NZD$16,449 per child
5 Travellers: NZD$15,299 per adult | NZD$14,399 per child
6 Travellers: NZD$13,949 per adult | NZD$12,999 per child
7 Travellers: NZD$12,949 per adult | NZD$11,999 per child
8 Travellers: NZD$12,199 per adult | NZD$11,249 per child
9 Travellers: NZD$11,949 per adult | NZD$11,049 per child
10 Travellers: NZD$11,449 per adult | NZD$10,549 per child
11 + Travellers: Please enquire for your custom quote