Experience the top destinations of New Zealand’s South Island on this luxury guided tour. Your private guide will meet you at the airport and take you on an escorted tour of New Zealand, with luxury accommodation and special personalised experiences that will elevate your holiday experience to something truly incredible.
Offering New Zealand’s best escorted tours and highly experienced tour guides, we cater for groups between 1-20 people. With no date or itinerary restrictions, your luxury South Island guided tour can be fully customised.
10 Day South Island Luxury Guided Tour Itinerary
Day 1 Arrive Christchurch
Your fantastic guided holiday begins in Christchurch, New Zealand’s “Garden City.” With a thriving restaurant scene, a string of beautiful parks, and a historic town centre, Christchurch is an excellent holiday destination.
Explore Christchurch with your guide, visiting the botanic gardens, the Christchurch Cathedral, the RE:Start Container Mall, and the Canterbury Museum.
Stay 1 night in Christchurch.
Day 2 Mount Cook + Tasman Glacier Helicopter Tour
Travel time Christchurch to Mt Cook Village – 4 hours
Your scenic journey through the Mackenzie Basin begins today as you cross over Burkes Pass. As the Southern Alps loom before you, there will be photo opportunities around every corner.
Continue past Lake Pukaki on your way to Mt Cook Village, nestled at the foot of New Zealand’s highest mountain.
In the afternoon, explore the length of the majestic Tasman Glacier on a helicopter tour past Mt Cook, and land atop the glacier itself to experience the immense scale of this alpine paradise.
Stay 1 night in Mt Cook Village.
Day 3 Wanaka
Travel time Mt Cook Village to Wanaka – 2.5 hours
Continue south to Wanaka, an alpine town boasting panoramic views and a relaxing atmosphere. Along the way, your guide will give you a chance to sample the fresh fruit from the orchards of Cromwell.
Explore Wanaka in the afternoon – your guide could take you to Puzzling World or Rippon Winery, or you could simply relax on the lakefront and do a bit of boutique shopping.
Stay 1 night in Wanaka.
Day 4 Te Anau Glowworm Caves
Travel time Queenstown to Te Anau – 2.5 hours
Enjoy the scenic drive over the Crown Range – your guide will stop along the way for photos at fantastic viewing points. Your scenic tour will continue as you make your way past Lake Wakatipu on your way to Te Anau, the gateway to Fiordland National Park.
In the afternoon, explore a mysterious underground world of rushing water and glittering glowworms on a tour of the Te Anau Glowworm Caves.
Stay 2 nights in Te Anau.
Day 5 Milford Sound Experience
Embark on a fantastic journey to Milford Sound today. Begin with an unforgettable scenic flight past Lake Te Anau and over the famous Milford Track before landing in Milford Sound for a two-hour nature cruise. On the return joinery, travel with a small group along the stunning Milford Highway, stopping along the way for countless scenic photo opportunities and short walks.
Day 6 Dunedin
Travel time Te Anau to Dunedin via the Catlins – 5 hours
Along the way to Dunedin, your guide will take you on a tour of the remote Catlins coast, where you will find pounding waterfalls, an iconic lighthouse, lush native bush, a petrified forest, and maybe even penguins and dolphins! Stop for a number of nature walks and photo opportunities along the way, and soak in the wild natural beauty.
In the evening, relax in Dunedin, where you will find a number of striking historic buildings in the compact town centre.
Stay 2 nights in Dunedin.
Day 7 Taieri Gorge Railway Journey
Today, join the Taieri Gorge Railway for a spectacular journey through the rugged gorges of Central Otago.
In the afternoon, your guide will show you around Dunedin – you have the option to visit Larnach Castle, the Cadbury Chocolate Factory, Speight’s Brewery, or the Otago Peninsula.
Day 8 Queenstown + Gourmet High Country Farm Dinner
Travel time Dunedin to Queenstown – 3.5 hours
Your adventure continues through the ever-changing hills of Central Otago, past bluffs and gorges, farmland and vineyards, to Queenstown.
Visit Arrowtown with your guide in the afternoon, and explore the quaint historic mining settlement. If there are any Lord of the Rings fans in the group, your guide will show you the filming locations for Minas Tirith, Argonath, the Misty Mountains, and the Ford of Bruinen.
In the evening, relive the elegance of turn-of-the-century travel with a cruise aboard the vintage steamship TSS Earnslaw. Disembark at Walter Peak High Country Farm for a stunning gourmet BBQ meal and farm tour.
Stay 3 nights in Queenstown.
Day 9 Central Otago Boutique Wine Tour
Taste the Central Otago wine region today on a private boutique wine tour. With four winery tastings and a delightful platter lunch at Carrick Winery Restaurant, this tour will give you an exclusive look at the most prestigious vineyards of the Queenstown area.
Day 10 Glenorchy Tour
Explore Queenstown with your guide today, with the option to make an excursion to the stunning Glenorchy region. Stop along the way for majestic views up Lake Wakatipu, and visit the stunning Paradise Valley and Dart Valley at the head of the lake. Along the way, you will get the chance to see the filming locations for Isengard, Lothlorien, and Ithilien Camp.
Stop in Glenorchy for a coffee or relaxing lunch, and soak in the incredible views of snow-capped peaks and turquoise rivers.
In the evening, raise a glass to a fantastic holiday!
Day 11 Depart Queenstown
Your guide will deliver you to Christchurch Airport for your departing flight.
Luxury Highlights Include:
- Driving through the Mackenzie Basin, with countless photo opportunities along the way – see the craggy, snow-capped Mt Cook (New Zealand’s highest mountain), drive past two stunning turquoise lakes, and witness the grandeur of the Southern Alps.
- Flying over the magnificent Tasman Glacier and past Aoraki/Mt Cook before landing in the snow!
- Driving over the lofty Crown Range and stopping for sweeping views of the valley below.
- Marvelling at the galaxy of glowworms overhead at the Te Anau Glowworm Caves.
- Flying over Lake Te Anau and past the famous Milford Track on the stunning journey to Milford Sound.
- Experiencing the grandeur of Milford Sound on an unforgettable nature cruise.
- Touring the remote Catlins Coastline – see windswept coastal vistas, pounding waterfalls, lush native bush, petrified forests, and possibly even penguins and dolphins.
- Travelling through the rugged Taieri Gorge on an spectacular train journey through the barren wilds of Central Otago.
- Staying in the vibrant mountain resort of Queenstown.
- Exploring the quaint historic mining settlement of Arrowtown.
- Reliving the elegance of turn-of-the-century travel with a steamship cruise across Lake Wakatipu.
- Experiencing farm life and enjoying a gourmet dinner at Walter Peak High Country Station.
- Tasting award-winning vintages and dining in style on a private tour of the boutique wineries in Central Otago.
- Venturing into paradise on a stunning scenic tour of Glenorchy, where you will find countless Lord of the Rings film locations surrounded by snow-capped mountains and turquoise river valleys.
Your privately guided tour includes:
- All transportation within New Zealand – you will be collected at the arrivals hall of Christchurch Airport and dropped off at the departures hall of Queenstown Airport
- Excellent 5-star/luxury accommodation with breakfast
- Private tour guide
- Sightseeing and Photo Stops En Route
- Aoraki / Mt Cook Paradise Scenic Helicopter Flight with Snow Landing
- Te Anau Glowworm Cave Tour
- Milford Sound Fly – Cruise – Coach Tour
- Taieri Gorge Railway Journey
- TSS Earnslaw Cruise and Walter Peak High Country Gourmet BBQ Dinner
- Private Central Otago Boutique Wine Tour
** Your privately guided tour does NOT include flights, food (except where included in activities) or travel insurance.
As guide prices are split between travellers, the pricing will vary depending on the number of travellers on your tour.
1 Traveller: NZD$26,199
2 Travellers: NZD$14,899 per adult | NZD$13,899 per child
3 Travellers: NZD$12,149 per adult | NZD$11,099 per child
4 Travellers: NZD$10,749 per adult | NZD$9749 per child
5 Travellers: NZD$9949 per adult | NZD$8899 per child
6 Travellers: NZD$9399 per adult | NZD$8349 per child
7 Travellers: NZD$8999 per adult | NZD$7949 per child
8 Travellers: NZD$8699 per adult | NZD$7699 per child
9 Travellers: NZD$8599 per adult | NZD$7549 per child
10 Travellers: NZD$8399 per adult | NZD$7349 per child
11 + Travellers: Please enquire for your custom quote