If you came to New Zealand to fulfil a dream of discovering Middle-Earth in real life, this is the Lord of the Rings tour for you. See the most iconic filming locations on this must do New Zealand guided holiday. Your private guide will meet your group at the airport and take you on an insider’s tour of Middle-Earth!
Offering New Zealand’s top escorted tour operators and highly experienced tour guides, we cater for groups of 1-20 people. No date or itinerary restrictions, your Lord of the Rings guided tour can be fully customised.
10 Day Lord of the Rings Guided Tour Itinerary
Day 1 Arrive Auckland
Your fantastic guided Lord of the Rings holiday begins in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. Home to 1/4 of New Zealand’s population and bordered by two stunning harbours, Auckland is thriving, diverse city surrounded by natural wonders.
Explore Auckland with your guide, visiting top attractions such as the Sky Tower, Mt Eden’s volcanic crater, Waiheke Island, Kelly Tarlton’s Underwater World, or Piha Beach.
Stay 1 night in Auckland.
Day 2 Hobbiton + Rotorua
Travel time Auckland to Matamata – 2 hours
Experience the magic of Middle-Earth as you tour the Hobbiton Movie Set, where the charming village from The Lord of the Rings has been brought to life.
Travel time Matamata to Rotorua – 1 hour
Enjoy the scenic drive through rolling farmland to Rotorua, the geothermal capital of New Zealand.
Stay 2 nights in Rotorua.
Day 3 Geothermal Wonders + Sulphur Spa
Stroll through Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve in the morning, where you will have the opportunity to experience the rich Maori culture and soak in a relaxing sulphur spa.
Tour the exciting geothermal attractions with your guide in the afternoon, visiting sulphur springs, mud pools, geysers, and sinter terraces.
Day 4 Wellington
Travel time Rotorua to Wellington – 4.5 hours
Continue south to Wellington, New Zealand’s capital city. Your guide will help you become acquainted with this charming city – you could visit the Te Papa Museum, ride the Wellington Cable Car, or take in the views from the top of Mt Victoria.
Stay 2 nights in Wellington.
Day 5 Wellington Lord of the Rings Tour
Today, enjoy an exciting full-day Lord of the Rings tour of Wellington! Visit filming locations around the city and surrounding countryside, make a stop at Weta Studios for a guided tour, and enjoy a Lord of the Rings-themed lunch.
Day 6 Interislander Ferry + Marlborough Wine Region Tour
Sailing time Wellington to Picton – 3 hours
Travel time Picton to Kaikoura – 2 hours
Begin your day with a cruise across the windswept Cook Strait.
Upon reaching the South Island, your guide will take you on a scenic drive through the Marlborough wine region, with the option to stop at a winery (or two!) along the way for samples of the award-winning wines.
Spend the evening in Kaikoura, a stunning coastal town with a backdrop of majestic mountains. Be sure to sample the superb local seafood at dinner!
Stay 1 night in Kaikoura.
Day 7 Hanmer Springs
Travel time Kaikoura to Hanmer Springs – 1.5 hours
Relax and unwind in the quiet mountain town of Hanmer Springs – you may wish to soak in the hot springs or go for a short guided forest walk with your escort.
Stay 1 night in Hanmer Springs.
Day 8 Mackenzie High Country Tour
Travel time Hanmer Springs to Lake Tekapo – 4.5 hours
Along the way to Lake Tekapo, you have the option to take a detour (one hour each way) to Mount Sunday, the filming location for Edoras, set among rugged mountains. Your guide will provide more details.
Your scenic journey through the Mackenzie Basin begins as you cross over Burkes Pass. As the Southern Alps loom before you, there will be photo opportunities around every corner.
While you rest and explore the quaint lakeside town of Lake Tekapo, paying a visit to the iconic Church of the Good Shepherd, you have the option to add on a flight-seeing tour of the Southern Alps or a nighttime observatory tour at Mt John.
Stay 1 night at Lake Tekapo.
Day 9 Queenstown – The Adventure Capital of New Zealand!
Travel time Lake Tekapo to Queenstown – 3 hours
As you continue the spectacular drive south, you have the option to make a side trip to Mt Cook Village – ask your guide for more details. You could also make a short trip to the filming location for Pelennor Fields, at Ben Ohau.
Once you pass over the dramatic Lindis Pass and through the Kawarau Gorge, you will reach Queenstown, the adventure capital of New Zealand. Explore the town independently in the evening, or add on a lake cruise and high country farm dinner with the TSS Earnslaw to make the most of your holiday.
Stay 2 nights in Queenstown.
Day 10 Dart River Jet Boat Safari + Isengard
Bring your fantastic holiday to a close today with an unforgettable wilderness jet boat safari.
Your guide will drive you to the stunning township of Glenorchy, nestled at the head of Lake Wakatipu, stopping for views along the way. The jet boat safari continues past Glenorchy up the Dart River, which passes into the Paradise Valley (easily recognisable as Isengard). Stop for a nature walk through the forest used as Lothlorien, and marvel at the snow-capped mountain peaks and stunning turquoise river.
Afterwards, relax and explore Glenorchy with your guide. You have the option to enjoy a forest walk, visit further filming locations (including the Ithilien Camp, the location of the Battle of Amon Hen, and the setting for Beorn’s house from The Hobbit), or take a scenic drive to Kinloch Lodge for a coffee or lunch overlooking the wild reaches of Lake Wakatipu.
In the afternoon, return to Queenstown and explore the area with your guide, with the option to visit more filming locations around town, make a trip to the historic mining community of Arrowtown, or sample award-winning wines at the vineyards of the Gibbston Valley.
In the evening, raise a glass to a fantastic New Zealand holiday!
Day 11 Depart Queenstown
Your guide will deliver you to Queenstown Airport for your departing flight.
- Visiting all of the top Lord of the Rings destinations, including:
- Weta Workshop
- Pelennor Fields
- Experiencing the magic of Middle-Earth as you explore the exquisitely rendered Hobbiton movie set.
- Exploring the geothermal wonderland of Rotorua – see geysers, bubbling mud pools, turquoise sulphur springs, and colourful sinter terraces.
- Visiting Weta Workshop and a number of iconic Lord of the Rings filming locations around Wellington.
- Enjoying a Lord of the Rings-themed lunch!
- Cruising the stunning Cook Strait on the Interislander Ferry.
- Taking a scenic drive through the rolling Marlborough wine region – maybe even stop to taste a few of the award-winning wines along the way!
- Sampling the famous crayfish, blue cod, and paua in Kaikoura, a spectacular seaside town ringed by mountains.
- Relaxing and unwinding in the hot springs town of Hanmer Springs.
- Visiting the remote, spectacular valley where you will find Mount Sunday, the filming location for Edoras.
- Driving through the Mackenzie Basin, with countless photo opportunities along the way – see the craggy, snow-capped Mt Cook (New Zealand’s highest mountain), drive past two stunning turquoise lakes, and witness the grandeur of the Southern Alps.
- Staying in Queenstown, the vibrant adventure capital of New Zealand.
- Venturing into paradise on the Dart River Jet Wilderness Safari, and marvelling at the incredible filming locations of Isengard and Lothlorien.
Your privately guided tour includes:
- All transportation within New Zealand – you will be collected at the arrivals hall of the Auckland Airport, and dropped off at the departures hall of the Queenstown Airport
- Excellent 4-star accommodation
- Private tour guide
- Sightseeing and Photo Stops En Route
- Hobbiton Movie Set Tour
- Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve and Sulphur Spa
- Wellington Lord of the Rings Tour
- Interislander Cook Strait Ferry
- Dart River Jet Wilderness Safari
** Your privately guided tour does NOT include flights, food (except where included in activities) or travel insurance.
As guide prices are split between travellers, the pricing will vary depending on the number of travellers on your tour.
1 Traveller: NZD$20,449
2 Travellers: NZD$10,849 per adult | NZD$8649 per child
3 Travellers: NZD$8099 per adult | NZD$7699 per child
4 Travellers: NZD$6699 per adult | NZD$6319 per child
5 Travellers: NZD$5899 per adult | NZD$5499 per child
6 Travellers: NZD$5349 per adult | NZD$4949 per child
7 Travellers: NZD$4949 per adult | NZD$4549 per child
8 Travellers: NZD$4649 per adult | NZD$4249 per child
9 Travellers: NZD$4549 per adult | NZD$4149 per child
10 Travellers: NZD$4349 per adult | NZD$3949 per child
11 + Travellers: Please enquire for your custom quote