Experience the best of New Zealand on this iconic guided tour. Your private guide will meet your group at the airport and take you on an insider’s tour of New Zealand, visiting iconic landmarks and local secrets alike.
Offering New Zealand’s top escorted tour operators and highly experienced tour guides, we cater for groups between 1-20 people. With no date or itinerary restrictions, your New Zealand tour can be completely customised.
21 Day New Zealand Guided Tour Itinerary
Day 1 Arrive Auckland
Your fantastic guided holiday begins in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. Home to 1/4 of New Zealand’s population and bordered by two stunning harbours, Auckland is thriving, diverse city surrounded by natural wonders.
Explore Auckland with your guide, visiting top attractions such as the Sky Tower, Mt Eden’s volcanic crater, Waiheke Island, Kelly Tarlton’s Underwater World, or Piha Beach.
Stay 1 night in Auckland.
Day 2 Bay of Islands + Dolphin Cruise
Travel time Auckland to Bay of Islands – 3 hours
Leave the city behind as your tour continues north to the Bay of Islands, a stunning stretch of coastline with secluded beaches, forested hills, and fantastic marine wildlife.
In the afternoon, cruise among the 144 islands in the bay and keep an eye out for dolphins, whales, and penguins!
Stay 2 nights in Paihia.
Day 3 Northland + Ninety Mile Beach
Discover the wild northern reaches of New Zealand today with your guide – venture past forests and farmland and windswept beaches on the journey to Cape Reinga, where a lighthouse marks the northernmost tip of New Zealand.
On the way, take in the vast expanse of 90 Mile Beach and visit an ancient Kauri grove hidden within lush native bush.
Day 4 Coromandel Peninsula + Hot Water Beach
Travel time Bay of Islands to Coromandel Peninsula – 6 hours
Embark on a scenic tour of the Coromandel Peninsula, taking in views of the lush rainforest and idyllic beaches. If the tide is right, visit Hot Water Beach, where you can dig your own hot pools, on your way to Whitianga.
Stay 2 nights in Whitianga, Coromandel.
Day 5 Cathedral Cove Boat Tour
Discover the rugged coastline today on a boat tour that takes through the marine reserve and past immense sea caves and sandy bays. Stop at the famous Cathedral Cove to soak in the views!
In the afternoon, your guide will show you some of the best hidden secrets of the Coromandel, including lush forest walks and secluded golden-sand beaches.
Day 6 Rotorua + Geothermal Wonders
Travel time Coromandel to Rotorua – 3 hours
Enjoy the scenic drive through rolling farmland to Rotorua, the geothermal capital of New Zealand. Tour the exciting geothermal attractions with your guide, visiting sulphur springs, mud pools, geysers, and sinter terraces.
Stay 2 nights in Rotorua.
Day 7 Sulphur Spa + Skyline Gondola Buffet Dinner
Stroll through Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve in the morning, where you will have the opportunity to experience the rich Maori culture and soak in a relaxing sulphur spa.
In the evening, enjoy a sumptuous dinner at Rotorua’s most spectacular location – the top of the Skyline Gondola!
Day 8 Taupo
Travel time Rotorua to Taupo – 1 hour
Your geothermal experience will continue as you enjoy the short drive to Taupo, a small town set beside New Zealand’s largest lake. With the volcanic peaks of Tongariro National Park looming in the distance, and the lake itself formed from an ancient volcanic crater, you will get a close-up look at the immense forces that shaped New Zealand. Visit Huka Falls with your guide and relax on the lakefront.
Stay 1 night in Taupo.
Day 9 Wellington
Travel time Taupo to Wellington – 4.5 hours
Continue your scenic tour as your guide takes you south to Wellington, New Zealand’s capital city.
Stay 2 nights in Wellington.
Day 10 Wellington City Tour
Your guide will help you become acquainted with this charming city today – you could visit the Te Papa Museum, ride the Wellington Cable Car, visit Weta Workshop, or take in the views from the top of Mt Victoria.
Day 11 Scenic Interislander Ferry + Kaikoura
Sailing time Wellington to Picton – 3 hours
Travel time Picton to Kaikoura – 2 hours
Begin your day with a cruise across the windswept Cook Strait.
Upon reaching the South Island, your guide will take you on a scenic drive through the Marlborough wine region, with the option to stop at a winery (or two!) along the way for samples of the award-winning wines.
Spend the evening in Kaikoura, a stunning coastal town with a backdrop of majestic mountains. Be sure to sample the superb local seafood at dinner!
Stay 1 night in Kaikoura.
Day 12 Christchurch
Travel time Kaikoura to Christchurch – 2.5 hours
With a thriving restaurant scene, a string of beautiful parks, and a historic town centre, Christchurch is an excellent holiday destination.
Explore Christchurch with your guide, visiting the botanic gardens, the Christchurch Cathedral, the RE:Start Container Mall, and the Canterbury Museum.
Stay 1 night in Christchurch.
Day 13 Mount Cook + Tasman Glacier Heli Flight
Travel time Christchurch to Mt Cook Village – 4 hours
Your scenic journey through the Mackenzie Basin begins today as you cross over Burkes Pass. As the Southern Alps loom before you, there will be photo opportunities around every corner. Continue past Lake Pukaki on your way to Mt Cook Village, nestled at the foot of New Zealand’s highest mountain.
In the evening, take an unforgettable scenic helicopter flight over Tasman Glacier, with a fantastic snow landing.
Stay 1 night in Mt Cook Village.
Day 14 Wanaka
Travel time Mt Cook Village to Wanaka – 2 hours
The scenery remains just as spectacular as ever while you continue your tour south to Wanaka, an alpine town boasting panoramic views and a relaxing atmosphere. Along the way, your guide will take you to sample the fresh fruit from the orchards of Cromwell.
Explore the town with your guide, with the option to visit Puzzling World or Rippon Winery, take a scenic drive into Mt Aspiring National Park, or enjoy a peaceful lakeside stroll.
Stay 1 night in Wanaka.
Day 15 Te Anau
Travel time Wanaka to Te Anau – 3 hours
Your scenic tour will continue as you enjoy the drive over the Crown Range to Wanaka. Your guide will stop along the way for photos at fantastic viewing points.
Visit Arrowtown with your guide on your way through Queenstown, and explore the quaint historic mining settlement. If there are any Lord of the Rings fans in the group, your guide will show you the filming locations for Minas Tirith, Argonath, the Misty Mountains, and the Ford of Bruinen.
In the afternoon, continue to Te Anau, the gateway to Fiordland National Park.
Stay 2 nights in Te Anau.
Day 16 Milford Sound Experience
Embark on a fantastic journey along the Milford Highway today to New Zealand’s most iconic fiord – Milford Sound. Travel with a small tour group on this extended day trip to Milford Sound, stopping along the way for countless scenic photo opportunities and short walks plus a delicious morning tea. At Milford Sound, enjoy a scenic nature cruise that takes you up close to the majesty of the fiord – you might even spot keas, seals, dolphins, or the rare Fiordland Crested Penguin!
Day 17 Catlins Coast + Dunedin
Travel time Te Anau to Dunedin via the Catlins – 5 hours
Along the way to Dunedin, your guide will take you on a tour of the remote Catlins coast, where you will find pounding waterfalls, an iconic lighthouse, lush native bush, a petrified forest, and maybe even penguins and dolphins! Stop for a number of nature walks and photo opportunities along the way, and soak in the wild natural beauty.
In the evening, relax in Dunedin, where you will find a number of striking historic buildings in the compact town centre.
Stay 2 nights in Dunedin.
Day 18 Taieri Gorge Railway
Today, join the Taieri Gorge Railway for a spectacular journey through the rugged gorges of Central Otago.
In the afternoon, your guide will show you around Dunedin – you have the option to visit Larnach Castle, the Cadbury Chocolate Factory, Speight’s Brewery, or the Otago Peninsula.
Day 19 Queenstown + Shotover Jet
Travel time Dunedin to Queenstown – 3.5 hours
Your adventure continues through the ever-changing hills of Central Otago, past bluffs and gorges, farmland and vineyards, to reach Queenstown.
Start your stay in the adventure capital of New Zealand with a bang as you ride the thrilling Shotover Jet through the spectacular canyons of the turquoise Shotover River!
Stay 3 nights in Queenstown.
Day 20 Skippers Canyon 4WD Safari
Travel into the past today on the Skippers Canyon 4WD safari. As you travel along the fantastically rugged backcountry road, you will have the opportunity to visit a number of historic icons – and even pan for gold.
Relax and soak in the atmosphere in Queenstown, or ask your guide to take you on a scenic drive to one of the nearby towns or viewpoints.
Day 21 Steamship Cruise + High Country Gourmet Dinner
Explore the Lord of the Rings locations around Queenstown with your guide today on an excursion to the stunning Glenorchy region. Stop along the way for majestic views up Lake Wakatipu, and visit the stunning Paradise Valley and Dart Valley at the head of the lake. Along the way, you will get the chance to see the filming locations for Isengard, Lothlorien, and Ithilien Camp.
Stop in Glenorchy for a coffee or relaxing lunch, and soak in the incredible views of snow-capped peaks and turquoise rivers.
In the evening, celebrate the end of a fantastic holiday with a cruise aboard the vintage steamship TSS Earnslaw. Disembark at Walter Peak High Country Farm for a stunning gourmet BBQ meal and farm tour.
Day 22 Depart Queenstown
Your guide will deliver you to Queenstown Airport for your departing flight.
- Spotting dolphins, whales, and penguins as you cruise through the stunning Bay of Islands.
- Visiting the remote northern tip of New Zealand at Cape Reinga, and exploring 90 Mile Beach.
- Discovering the rugged coastline of the Coromandel by boat – visit sea caves and secluded bays, and even make a stop at the world-famous Cathedral Cove!
- Digging your own hot pool at Hot Water Beach.
- Exploring the geothermal wonderland of Rotorua – see geysers, bubbling mud pools, turquoise sulphur springs, and colourful sinter terraces.
- Relaxing in a sulphur pool and marvelling at the geothermal wonders of Hells Gate Reserve.
- Dining in style atop the Skyline Gondola, with views of Rotorua spread out below.
- Visiting the magnificent Huka Falls.
- Cruising the stunning Cook Strait on the Interislander Ferry.
- Taking a scenic drive through the rolling Marlborough wine region – maybe even stop to taste a few of the award-winning wines along the way!
- Sampling the famous crayfish, blue cod, and paua in Kaikoura, a spectacular seaside town ringed by mountains.
- Driving through the Mackenzie Basin, with countless photo opportunities along the way – see the craggy, snow-capped Mt Cook (New Zealand’s highest mountain), drive past two stunning turquoise lakes, and witness the grandeur of the Southern Alps.
- Flying over the eerie blue ice of the Tasman Glacier and past the spectacular Mt Cook on a helicopter flight which lands atop the glacier itself for unforgettable views of the pristine alpine wonderland.
- Driving over the lofty Crown Range and stopping for sweeping views of the valley below.
- Exploring the quaint historic mining settlement of Arrowtown.
- Staying in Queenstown, the vibrant adventure capital of New Zealand.
- Reliving the elegance of turn-of-the-century travel with a steamship cruise across Lake Wakatipu.
- Experiencing farm life and enjoying a gourmet dinner at Walter Peak High Country Station.
- Journeying down the incredible Milford Highway and experiencing the grandeur of Milford Sound on an unforgettable nature cruise.
- Touring the remote Catlins Coastline – see windswept coastal vistas, pounding waterfalls, lush native bush, petrified forests, and possibly even penguins and dolphins.
- Travelling through the rugged Taieri Gorge on an spectacular train journey through the barren wilds of Central Otago.
- Discovering the rugged hills and mining history of Queenstown on a Skippers Canyon 4WD tour.
- Hurtling through the gorges of the Shotover Canyon on a thrilling jet boat ride!
- Venturing into paradise on a stunning scenic tour of Glenorchy, where you will find countless Lord of the Rings film locations surrounded by snow-capped mountains and turquoise river valleys.
Your privately guided tour includes:
- All transportation within New Zealand – you will be collected at the arrivals hall of the Auckland Airport, and dropped off at the departures hall of the Queenstown Airport
- Excellent 4-star accommodation
- Private tour guide
- Sightseeing and Photo Stops En Route
- Bay of Islands Hole in the Rock Cruise
- Coromandel Glass-Bottom Boat Tour to Cathedral Cove
- Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve Walk and Sulphur Spa
- Skyline Gondola and Buffet Dinner Rotorua
- Interislander Wellington to Picton Ferry
- Scenic Heli Flight over Tasman Glacier with Snow Landing
- Milford Sound Fiordland Extraordinaire Tour
- Taieri Gorge Railway Journey
- Shotover Jet – the world’s most exciting jet boat ride!
- Skippers Canyon 4WD Safari
- TSS Earnslaw Cruise and Walter Peak High Country Gourmet BBQ Dinner
** Your privately guided tour does NOT include flights, food (except where included in activities) or travel insurance. **
As guide prices are split between travellers, the pricing will vary depending on the number of travellers on your tour.
1 Traveller: NZD$33,849
2 Travellers: NZD$18,099 per adult | NZD$17,299 per child
3 Travellers: NZD$13,649 per adult | NZD$12,849 per child
4 Travellers: NZD$11,399 per adult | NZD$10,649 per child
5 Travellers: NZD$10,099 per adult | NZD$9299 per child
6 Travellers: NZD$9199 per adult | NZD$8399 per child
7 Travellers: NZD$8549 per adult | NZD$7799 per child
8 Travellers: NZD$8099 per adult | NZD$7299 per child
9 Travellers: NZD$8099 per adult | NZD$7299 per child
10 Travellers: NZD$7749 per adult | NZD$6949 per child
11 + Travellers: Please enquire for your custom quote