Experience the best of New Zealand on this fantastic guided tour. Your private guide will meet your group at the airport and take you on an insider’s tour of New Zealand, visiting iconic landmarks and local secrets alike.
Offering New Zealand’s top escorted tour operators and highly experienced tour guides, we cater for groups between 1-20 people. With no date or itinerary restrictions, your New Zealand tour can be completely customised.
14 Day Iconic New Zealand Guided Tour Itinerary
Day 1 Arrive Queenstown
Your fantastic guided holiday begins in Queenstown, the adventure capital of New Zealand. Surrounded by rugged mountains and bordered by the turquoise waters of Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown is a vibrant, buzzing mountain paradise.
Explore Queenstown with your guide, with the option to visit a winery or two in the Gibbston Valley of Vines, take a stroll along the lake, or ride the Skyline Gondola to the top of the hill for panoramic views over the valley.
Stay 3 nights in Queenstown.
Day 2 Queenstown Lord of the Rings Tour
Explore the Lord of the Rings locations around Queenstown with your guide today on an excursion to the stunning Glenorchy region. Stop along the way for majestic views up Lake Wakatipu, and visit the stunning Paradise Valley and Dart Valley at the head of the lake. Along the way, you will get the chance to see the filming locations for Isengard, Lothlorien, and Ithilien Camp.
Stop in Glenorchy for a coffee or relaxing lunch, and soak in the incredible views of snow-capped peaks and turquoise rivers.
Day 3 Milford Sound Tour
Embark on a scenic coach journey to Milford Sound, known as the “eighth wonder of the world.” As you venture deep into the heart of Fiordland National Park, you will get the chance to stop and view a number of must-see destinations along the way.
At Milford Sound, witness the grandeur of this mighty fiord up close on a 2.5-hour nature cruise.
Day 4 Wanaka
Travel time Queenstown to Wanaka – 1 hour
Visit Arrowtown with your guide on your way to Wanaka, and explore the quaint historic mining settlement. If there are any Lord of the Rings fans in the group, your guide will show you the filming locations for Minas Tirith, Argonath, the Misty Mountains, and the Ford of Bruinen.
Your scenic tour will continue as you enjoy the drive over the Crown Range to Wanaka. Your guide will stop along the way for photos at fantastic viewing points.
Explore the alpine town of Wanaka in the afternoon – your guide could take you to Puzzling World or Rippon Winery, or you could simply relax on the lakefront and do a bit of boutique shopping.
Stay 1 night in Wanaka.
Day 5 Franz Josef Glacier + Heli Flight with Snow Landing
Travel time Wanaka to Franz Josef – 4 hours
The Haast Pass Highway is one of the most scenic alpine routes in New Zealand. Explore the pass with your guide, stopping to view cascading waterfalls, broad alpine meadows, craggy snowcapped mountains, and the turquoise depths of the Blue Pools.
Continuing along the West Coast, your guide will take you to the base of Fox Glacier, where you have the option to enjoy a 1-hour return walk to a viewing point over the mighty glacier.
In the afternoon, take an unforgettable helicopter flight over Franz Josef Glacier, where you will land in the snow to enjoy incredible views of the majestic Southern Alps.
Stay 1 night in Franz Josef.
Day 6 TranzAlpine Train Journey
Travel time Franz Josef to Greymouth – 2.5 hours
Train travel time Greymouth to Christchurch – 4.5 hours
Leave the rugged West Coast behind today as you board the TranzAlpine Train for a fantastic journey through Arthurs Pass. Travel past the soaring peaks and braided rivers of the Southern Alps, through the gorges of the Waimakariri River, and past the rolling Canterbury Plains.
Your guide will meet you at the train station and bring you to your accommodation.
Stay 1 night in Christchurch.
Day 7 Kaikoura
Travel time Christchurch to Kaikoura – 2.5 hours
Discover the East Coast today on the scenic drive to Kaikoura, stopping along the way to view seals and rugged coastal panoramas.
In the afternoon, you have the option to add on a whale watching cruise or flight to view the majestic sperm whales that frequent the harbour.
Spend the evening in Kaikoura, a stunning coastal town with a backdrop of majestic mountains. Be sure to sample the superb local seafood at dinner!
Stay 1 night in Kaikoura.
Day 8 Scenic Interislander Ferry
Travel time Kaikoura to Picton – 2 hours
Begin your day with a tour through the stunning Marlborough wine region, with the option to stop at a winery or two along the way to sample the award-winning vintages.
Sailing time Picton to Wellington – 3 hours
When you reach Picton, embark on a cruise across the windswept Cook Strait to Wellington, New Zealand’s capital city.
Stay 2 nights in Wellington.
Day 9 Wellington City Tour
Your guide will help you become acquainted with this charming city today – you could visit the Te Papa Museum, ride the Wellington Cable Car, visit Weta Workshop, or take in the views from the top of Mt Victoria.
Day 10 Taupo + Scenic Floatplane Flight
Travel time Wellington to Taupo – 4.5 hours
Venture into the heart of the North Island as you enjoy the drive to Taupo, a small town set beside New Zealand’s largest lake. With the volcanic peaks of Tongariro National Park looming in the distance, and the lake itself formed from an ancient volcanic crater, you will get a close-up look at the immense forces that shaped New Zealand. Visit Huka Falls with your guide and relax on the lakefront.
In the afternoon, sample the best of Lake Taupo on a Peek at the Lake scenic floatplane flight.
Stay 1 night in Taupo.
Day 11 Rotorua + Skyline Gondola Buffet Dinner
Travel time Taupo to Rotorua – 1 hour
Enjoy the scenic drive through rolling farmland to Rotorua, the geothermal capital of New Zealand. Tour the exciting geothermal attractions with your guide, visiting sulphur springs, mud pools, geysers, and sinter terraces.
In the evening, enjoy a sumptuous dinner at Rotorua’s most spectacular location – the top of the Skyline Gondola!
Stay 2 nights in Rotorua.
Day 12 Geothermal Wonders + Sulphur Spa
Stroll through Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve in the morning, where you will have the opportunity to experience the rich Maori culture and soak in a relaxing sulphur spa.
Visit Hamurana with your guide in the afternoon, where you will have the chance to enjoy a nature walk through a towering redwood grove and past a vivid turquoise and green stream.
Day 13 Waitomo Glowworm Caves
Travel time Rotorua to Waitomo Caves – 2 hours
Venture off the beaten track as your guide takes you on a scenic drive to the Waitomo Caves. The land is wilder around here, with limestone outcroppings emerging from farmland and densely forested hills rising all around, but the wildest landscape of all lies underground.
Witness the marvels of these vast caverns as you explore two fantastic caves – the Ruakuri Cave, home to a dizzying array of cave formations, and the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, where you will be dazzled by a galaxy of glowworms overhead.
Travel time Waitomo Caves to Hamilton – 1 hour
After your Waitomo Caves adventure, your tour will continue north to Hamilton, New Zealand’s largest inland city.
Stay 1 night in Hamilton.
Day 14 Auckland + Harbour Dinner Cruise
Travel time Hamilton to Auckland – 1.5 hours
Your fantastic guided holiday ends in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. Home to 1/4 of New Zealand’s population and bordered by two stunning harbours, Auckland is thriving, diverse city surrounded by natural wonders.
Explore Auckland with your guide in the afternoon, visiting top attractions such as the Sky Tower, Mt Eden’s volcanic crater, Waiheke Island, Kelly Tarlton’s Underwater World, or Piha Beach.
In the evening, enjoy a decadent harbour dinner cruise on Auckland’s Waitemata Harbour.
Stay 1 night in Auckland.
Day 15 Depart Auckland
Your guide will deliver you to Auckland Airport for your departing flight.
- Staying in Queenstown, the vibrant adventure capital of New Zealand.
- Venturing into paradise on a stunning scenic tour of Glenorchy, where you will find countless Lord of the Rings film locations surrounded by snow-capped mountains and turquoise river valleys.
- Driving the incredible Milford Highway and experiencing the grandeur of Milford Sound on an unforgettable nature cruise.
- Exploring the quaint historic mining settlement of Arrowtown.
- Driving over the lofty Crown Range and stopping for sweeping views of the valley below.
- Travelling through Haast Pass, past hanging glaciers and pounding waterfalls and turquoise rivers.
- Flying over the magnificent Franz Josef Glacier on a helicopter tour, and landing in the pristine snow!
- Riding the TranzAlpine Train through the spectacular Arthurs Pass.
- Sampling the famous crayfish, blue cod, and paua in Kaikoura, a spectacular seaside town ringed by mountains.
- Cruising the stunning Cook Strait on the Interislander Ferry.
- Sampling the best of Lake Taupo’s natural wonders on a scenic floatplane flight.
- Visiting the magnificent Huka Falls.
- Exploring the geothermal wonderland of Rotorua – see geysers, bubbling mud pools, turquoise sulphur springs, and colourful sinter terraces.
- Dining in style atop the Skyline Gondola, with views of Rotorua spread out below.
- Relaxing in a sulphur pool and experiencing Maori culture at the Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve.
- Witnessing a fantastic galaxy of glowworms at Waitomo Caves.
- Exploring the beautiful Ruakuri Cave, filled with delicate formations and echoing waterfalls.
- Cruising and dining on Auckland’s Waitemata Harbour – watch the city lights come to life and sparkle across the water.
Your privately guided tour includes:
- All transportation within New Zealand – you will be collected at the arrivals hall of the Queenstown Airport, and dropped off at the departures hall of the Auckland Airport
- Excellent 4-star accommodation
- Private tour guide
- Sightseeing and Photo Stops En Route
- Milford Sound Nature Cruise ex Queenstown by Scenic Coach
- Scenic Heli Flight over Franz Josef Glacier with Snow Landing
- TranzAlpine Train Journey
- Interislander Wellington to Picton Ferry
- Peek at Lake Taupo Scenic Floatplane Flight
- Skyline Gondola and Buffet Dinner Rotorua
- Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve Walk and Sulphur Spa
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves and Ruakuri Cave Combo Tour
- Auckland Harbour Dinner Cruise
** Your privately guided tour does NOT include flights, food (except where included in activities) or travel insurance. **
As guide prices are split between travellers, the pricing will vary depending on the number of travellers on your tour.
1 Traveller: NZD$23,799
2 Travellers: NZD$12,899 per adult | NZD$12,199 per child
3 Travellers: NZD$9749 per adult | NZD$9049 per child
4 Travellers: NZD$8199 per adult | NZD$7499 per child
5 Travellers: NZD$7249 per adult | NZD$6549 per child
6 Travellers: NZD$6449 per adult | NZD$5949 per child
7 Travellers: NZD$6199 per adult | NZD$5499 per child
8 Travellers: NZD$5899 per adult | NZD$5199 per child
9 Travellers: NZD$5849 per adult | NZD$5149 per child
10 Travellers: NZD$5649 per adult | NZD$4949 per child
11 + Travellers: Please enquire for your custom quote