Experience the best of New Zealand on this fantastic whirlwind tour. Your private guide will meet your group at the airport and take you on an insider’s tour of New Zealand, visiting iconic landmarks and local secrets alike.
Offering New Zealand’s top escorted tour operators and highly experienced tour guides, we cater for groups between 1-20 people. With no date or itinerary restrictions, your New Zealand tour can be completely customised.
10 Day New Zealand Guided Tour Itinerary
Day 1 Arrive Auckland
Your fantastic guided holiday begins in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. Home to 1/4 of New Zealand’s population and bordered by two stunning harbours, Auckland is a thriving, diverse city surrounded by natural wonders.
Explore Auckland with your guide, visiting top attractions such as the Sky Tower, Mt Eden’s volcanic crater, Waiheke Island, Kelly Tarlton’s Underwater World, or Piha Beach.
In the evening, enjoy a decadent harbour dinner cruise on Auckland’s Waitemata Harbour.
Stay 1 night in Auckland.
Day 2 Rotorua + Maori Evening Experience
Travel time Auckland to Rotorua – 3.5 hours
Enjoy the scenic drive through rolling farmland to Rotorua, the geothermal capital of New Zealand. Tour the exciting geothermal attractions with your guide, visiting sulphur springs, mud pools, geysers, and sinter terraces.
In the evening, get a taste of Maori culture with a traditional performance and a delicious hangi dinner – cooked underground over slow heat.
Stay 1 night in Rotorua.
Day 3 Taupo + Scenic Floatplane Flight
Travel time Rotorua to Taupo – 1 hour
Your geothermal experience will continue as you enjoy the short drive to Taupo, a small town set beside New Zealand’s largest lake. With the volcanic peaks of Tongariro National Park looming in the distance, and the lake itself formed from an ancient volcanic crater, you will get a close-up look at the immense forces that shaped New Zealand. Visit Huka Falls with your guide and relax on the lakefront.
In the afternoon, sample the best of Lake Taupo on a Peek at the Lake scenic floatplane flight.
Stay 1 night in Taupo.
Day 4 Wellington
Travel time Taupo to Wellington – 4.5 hours
Continue south to Wellington, New Zealand’s capital city. Your guide will help you become acquainted with this charming city – you could visit the Te Papa Museum, ride the Wellington Cable Car, visit Weta Workshop, or take in the views from the top of Mt Victoria.
Stay 1 night in Wellington.
Day 5 Scenic Interislander Cruise + Kaikoura
Sailing time Wellington to Picton – 3 hours
Travel time Picton to Kaikoura – 2 hours
Begin your day with a cruise across the windswept Cook Strait.
Upon reaching the South Island, your guide will take you on a scenic drive through the Marlborough wine region, with the option to stop at a winery (or two!) along the way for samples of the award-winning wines.
Spend the evening in Kaikoura, a stunning coastal town with a backdrop of majestic mountains. Be sure to sample the superb local seafood at dinner!
Stay 1 night in Kaikoura.
Day 6 Hanmer Springs + Jet Boat Ride + Hot Pools
Travel time Kaikoura to Hanmer Springs – 1.5 hours
When you reach the quiet mountain town of Hanmer Springs, it’s time to experience the thrill of travelling up the dramatic river gorge on a jet boat!
In the afternoon, relax and unwind in the hot springs or go for a short guided forest walk with your escort.
Stay 1 night in Hanmer Springs.
Day 7 Lake Tekapo
Travel time Hanmer Springs to Lake Tekapo – 4.5 hours
Your scenic journey through the Mackenzie Basin begins today as you cross over Burkes Pass. As the Southern Alps loom before you, there will be photo opportunities around every corner.
While you rest and explore the quaint lakeside town of Lake Tekapo, paying a visit to the iconic Church of the Good Shepherd, you have the option to add on a flight-seeing tour of the Southern Alps or a nighttime observatory tour at Mt John.
Stay 1 night at Lake Tekapo.
Day 8 Queenstown – The Adventure Capital of New Zealand!
Travel time Lake Tekapo to Queenstown – 3 hours
As you continue the spectacular drive south, you have the option to make a side trip to Mt Cook Village – ask your guide for more details.
Once you pass over the dramatic Lindis Pass and through the Kawarau Gorge, you will reach Queenstown, the adventure capital of New Zealand. Explore the town independently in the evening, or add on a lake cruise and high country farm dinner with the TSS Earnslaw to make the most of your holiday.
Stay 3 nights in Queenstown.
Day 9 Milford Sound Tour
Embark on a scenic coach journey to Milford Sound, known as the “eighth wonder of the world.” As you venture deep into the heart of Fiordland National Park, you will get the chance to stop and view a number of must-see destinations along the way.
At Milford Sound, witness the grandeur of this mighty fiord up close on a 2.5-hour nature cruise.
Day 10 Skipper’s Canyon 4WD Safari
Travel into the past today on the Skippers Canyon 4WD safari. As you travel along the fantastically rugged backcountry road, you will have the opportunity to visit a number of historic icons – and even pan for gold!
As your final day in New Zealand draws to a close, relax and soak in the atmosphere in Queenstown, or ask your guide to take you on a scenic drive to one of the nearby towns or viewpoints.
Day 11 Depart Queenstown
Your guide will deliver you to Queenstown Airport for your departing flight.
- Cruising and dining on Auckland’s Waitemata Harbour – watch the city lights come to life and sparkle across the water.
- Exploring the geothermal wonderland of Rotorua – see geysers, bubbling mud pools, turquoise sulphur springs, and colourful sinter terraces.
- Experiencing an authentic Maori cultural show and enjoying a traditional hangi meal cooked underground!
- Visiting the magnificent Huka Falls.
- Sampling the best of Lake Taupo’s natural wonders on a scenic floatplane flight.
- Cruising the stunning Cook Strait on the Interislander Ferry.
- Taking a scenic drive through the rolling Marlborough wine region – maybe even stop to taste a few of the award-winning wines along the way!
- Sampling the famous crayfish, blue cod, and paua in Kaikoura, a spectacular seaside town ringed by mountains.
- Relaxing and unwinding in the hot springs town of Hanmer Springs.
- Jet-boating up the dramatic Waiau Gorge.
- Driving through the Mackenzie Basin, with countless photo opportunities along the way – see the craggy, snow-capped Mt Cook (New Zealand’s highest mountain), drive past two stunning turquoise lakes, and witness the grandeur of the Southern Alps.
- Staying in Queenstown, the vibrant adventure capital of New Zealand.
- Driving the incredible Milford Highway and experiencing the grandeur of Milford Sound on an unforgettable nature cruise.
- Discovering the rugged hills and mining history of Queenstown on a Skippers Canyon 4WD tour.
Your privately guided tour includes:
- All transportation within New Zealand – you will be collected at the arrivals hall of the Auckland Airport, and dropped off at the departures hall of the Queenstown Airport
- Excellent 4-star accommodation
- Private tour guide
- Sightseeing and Photo Stops En Route
- Auckland Harbour Dinner Cruise
- Te Puia Te Po Maori Evening Experience with Hangi Dinner
- Peek at the Lake Scenic Floatplane Flight over Lake Taupo
- Interislander Wellington to Picton Ferry
- Thrillseekers Jet Boat Tour
- Milford Sound Nature Cruise ex Queenstown by Scenic Coach
- Skippers Canyon 4WD Backcountry Safari
** Your privately guided tour does NOT include flights, food (except where included in activities) or travel insurance. **
As guide prices are split between travellers, the pricing will vary depending on the number of travellers on your tour.
1 Traveller: NZD$17,999
2 Travellers: NZD$9799 per adult | NZD$9199 per child
3 Travellers: NZD$7449 per adult | NZD$6849 per child
4 Travellers: NZD$6249 per adult | NZD$5649 per child
5 Travellers: NZD$5549 per adult | NZD$4949 per child
6 Travellers: NZD$5099 per adult | NZD$4499 per child
7 Travellers: NZD$4749 per adult | NZD$4149 per child
8 Travellers: NZD$4499 per adult | NZD$3899 per child
9 Travellers: NZD$4449 per adult | NZD$3849 per child
10 Travellers: NZD$4299 per adult | NZD$3699 per child
11 + Travellers: Please enquire for your custom quote